Card Access

UPDATE: As of 3/23/20 building access is limited to critical personnel only. If you need to request emergency building access please visit

Your MIT ID card provides you with the following:

  • Building access: All MIT ID cards have basic building access. Students and others who live on campus have access to their dormitories or buildings. Access to other secure spaces is provided by departmental administrators. If your card expires you must have it renewed in order to have access to buildings on campus.
  • MIT Recreation Memberships: No cost for students to use the Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreational (DAPER) facilities. MIT employees and other community members are eligible to purchase memberships.    
  • Library access
  • MBTA: Access for employees at no cost. Students can load MBTA funds onto their ID cards.  
  • Parking: Comes with your card once it is activated.
  • TechCASH accounts: Allows you to use your MIT ID card to purchase food and campus services.

Access issues

  • Missing building access: contact your gatekeeper.
  • Students unable to enter their dormitories should contact housing security. This email is monitored 24/7.
  • Office access: Contact your department administrator. After hours, call MIT Police at 3-1212.